- August 31, 2020
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
In partnership with the Early Childhood Educators of BC (ECEBC) we are offering this recording from the ECEBC Conference keynote speaker, Tom Hobson.
Teacher Tom speaks about how children’s play brings the habits and principles of democracy into ‘early years’ classrooms. He will begin by discussing the purpose of education in democratic societies and how and why we have managed to veer so far from the original intent, which is to educate citizens capable of contributing to the grand experiment of self-governance. In this full-throated support for play-based education, he details through his illustrative classroom stories and examples exactly how his curriculum works. Participants will learn the benefits of introducing these playful principles to their own students, the hallmarks of what makes a good citizen both in a classroom as well as a democracy, the traits and habits required for self-governance, and practical tips on how to implement these ideas in their own classrooms. It is an inspiring, often touching, often hilarious, and always eye-opening and empowering presentation.
Presenter: Tom Hobson (Teacher Tom)
– This workshop will be held online through the Zoom platform.
– The main content of this workshop is a recording of Teacher Tom’s keynote from the ECEBC conference. There will be time afterwards for discussion and questions facilitated by CCRR staff.
– You will need access to a smartphone, laptop, tablet or computer with a camera and audio capabilities to join us.
– A link will be emailed to you the day before the workshop. Please click the link ten minutes before the workshop begins to join in. Further instructions will be included in the email.
– For safety reasons we will be locking the meeting at 6:45 pm, so please arrive early or on time to ensure you get in.
Venue: Online Workshop