- January 6, 2024
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
The Building Bridges through Understanding the Village workshop will provide educators the opportunity to cognitively and emotionally comprehend how colonization affected Indigenous communities throughout generations. The participants will learn how to begin the process of decolonizing the education system in order to create culturally appropriate early childhood education programs. In her master thesis, Laura Jane Buchanan wrote: “This workshop is geared to solutions rather than recrimination and is a forum in which to ask questions.” The training maintains a non-blame and non-shame perspective and is an invitation to participants to become part of the ongoing healing that is already taking place in many Indigenous ‘villages’.
Presenter: Kathi Camilleri
– This workshop will be addressing Residential Schools and its effects in an in‐depth way. Participation may trigger unresolved grief and loss issues for some.
– Each participant will receive a copy of Speaking Our Truth: A Journey of Reconciliation book by Monique Gray Smith. The book will be available for pick up from our office: Call us for pickup address. Shipping will be available at no cost.
– This workshop will be held online through the Zoom platform.
– You will need access to a smartphone, laptop, tablet or computer with a camera and audio capabilities to join us.
– A link will be emailed to you in the days prior to the workshop.. Please click the link ten minutes before the workshop begins to join in. Further instructions will be included in the email.
This initiative is funded through the Canada-British Columbia Early Learning and Child Care (ELCC) Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Province of British Columbia, in partnership with the Westcoast Child Care Resource Centre (WCCRC), the agency responsible for administering the funds.
Venue: Online Workshop